What do Funeral Service Managers do?
Plan, direct, or coordinate the services or resources of funeral homes. Includes activities such as determining prices for services or merchandise and managing the facilities of funeral homes.
- Attend or make presentations at community events to promote funeral home services or build community relationships.
- Conduct market research and analyze industry trends.
- Consult with families or friends of the deceased to arrange funeral details, such as obituary notice wording, casket selection, or plans for services.
- Direct and supervise work of embalmers, funeral attendants, death certificate clerks, cosmetologists, or other staff.
- Direct or monitor administrative, support, repair, or maintenance services for funeral homes.
- Monitor funeral service operations to ensure that they comply with applicable policies, regulations, and laws.
- Negotiate contracts for prearranged funeral services.
- Offer counsel and comfort to families and friends of the deceased.
- Plan and implement changes to service offerings to meet community needs or increase funeral home revenues.
- Plan and implement sales promotions or other marketing strategies and activities for funeral home operations.
- Respond to customer complaints, legal inquiries, payment negotiations, or other post-service matters.
- Review financial statements, sales or activity reports, or other performance data to identify opportunities for cost reductions or service improvements.
- Schedule funerals, burials, or cremations.
- Sell funeral services, products, or merchandise to clients.
- Set marketing, sales, or other financial goals for funeral service establishments and monitor progress toward these goals.
- Set prices or credit terms for funeral products or services.
- Complete and maintain records such as state-required documents, tracking documents, or product inventories.
- Evaluate the performance of vendors, contract employees, or other service providers to ensure quality and cost-efficiency.
- Explain goals, policies, or procedures to staff members.
- Identify skill development needs for funeral home staff.
- Interview and hire new employees.
- Schedule work hours for funeral home or contract employees.
Related Jobs (Funeral Service Managers)